Finding Visual Meaning in our World.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Personal Universes: The Muti-Dimensional Bouquet

This past Friday, I went to Har Hertzel, a cemetery for fallen Israeli soldiers, located in Jerusalem. As the tour guide told over stories of some of the individuals buried there, my eyes, along with my brain started wandering off.
Then something caught my eye. In the distance I could see something sticking out one of the graves. So I made my way over there to get a closer look: a fresh, vibrant bouquet of flowers with a blood-red ribbon tied on the front. Sure, other graves had flowers and other items on or around them - but this one was different. I couldn't put my finger on it, but there was something ethereal yet comforting about this bouquet.

I had this image in my head. I really wanted to believe that there was a man who lost his wife. And since her death, at the end of every week, this man would bring a new bouquet of flowers to her grave, packaged in a big red ribbon. It was his way of connecting back with his loved one, of continuing their deep and intimate conversations, of continuing to build the world that their souls created together.

This man understood that nothing - not even death - can disrupt the bond they formed while she was alive.

And this got me thinking: is our experience in this world limited to what we can physically perceive to be reality? Or do we actually have the ability to create new worlds within ourselves, develop them, build them, and connect with them?

I would like to believe the latter to be true. Because if can accept that as at least a vague possibility - just imagine what kind of new experiences we can open ourselves up to.

Sometimes we look for answers, and we come to the conclusion that we just didn't get one, or we couldn't find one. But maybe, just maybe, those answers lay within ourselves - within the potential universe we have yet to create within.

The man with the flowers (who, as of now, was an invention of my own imagination) faced a new challenge: his wife was no longer around. But that didn't stop him from feeling like he needed to present her with a new bouquet of flowers every week - why? Because, in truth, she really wasn't totally gone - not from him, at least. He created an environment inside himself through which he can still communicate with her. And then they just picked up where they left off.

We are complex, intricate, and beautiful beings. And we tend to underestimate our ingenuity. So why don't we start unlocking some of that potential, and allow our eyes to peer through time and dimension, and begin our journey to new and unseen worlds, waiting to be discovered.

- David Reich.

**P.S. After publishing this post, I realized that what I wrote strongly resembles a short film. This short film is called "Visiting Hours," and it is directed and edited by my sister, Shantal Reich. It's an awesome short film. Seriously. Check it out here: http://vimeo.com/84825596 (Password: daisies)



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Moved me to tears for its beauty. BTW, the answer to your question is yes, we can build new worlds both within and without. Our is belief-dependent.
    Did you ever see Visiting Hours by Shantal? You might like to include a link...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks abba! I'm glad you connected with it. I too believe the answer to be yes.

      I did see it! And I think it really connects to this, I'll add the link.

      Delete